Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Cat Inside

I read this book this weekend, by William S. Burroughs (The Cat Inside). Sanks insists that it is anti-dog, but I think that's just because no one is ever pro-cat! It strikes him as strange. I think it's because of quotes like the one below, but to me, he's not a dog hater. He's just been influenced by the cat-hating practices of many dog lovers.

An English cat hater of the upper classes confided to me that he had trained a dog to break a cat's back with one shake. And I remember he caught sight of a cat at a party and snarled out through the long yellow horse teeth that crowded out his mouth, "Nasty stinking little beast!" I was impressed by his class at the time and knew nothing of cats. Now I would get up from my chair and say, "Pawdon me, old thing, if I toddle along, but there's a nasty stinking big beast here."

That is a bit harsh, I guess. But listen to this:

Purring in his sleep, Fletch stretches out his little black paws to touch my hands, the claws withdrawn, just a gentle touch to assure him that I am there beside him as he sleeps. He must have a dream image of me. Cats are said to be colorblind: grainy black-and-white, a flickering silver film full of rents as I leave the room, come back, go out, pick him up, put him down. Who could harm such a creature? Train his dog to kill him! Cat hate reflects an ugly, stupid, loutish, bigoted spirit. There can be no compromise with this Ugly Spirit.

Yes, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment